146 Metlars Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854 | T: (732) 562-1990 | F: (732) 562-1399 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctor-Assisted Suicide – Fatally Flawed!
The New Jersey “Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill” Act (A1504/S1702) would give a patient diagnosed with a terminal illness and given a prognosis of less than six months to live, the ability to request a lethal prescription to end his/her life. If passed doctor-assisted suicide would be legal under New Jersey law.
Contact Your Legislators to Oppose Assisted Suicide
We have just learned that the Senate Health Committee has scheduled a hearing on the Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act (S1702) on Thursday, February 7 at 1 p.m. A vote is expected in the full Assembly within the next few weeks. The bill would allow physicians to prescribe drugs to end the lives of terminally ill individuals considered to have six months to live. The facts are clear - in California, in Vermont and in Oregon - states that have passed assisted suicide bills - insurance companies have denied individuals expensive healthcare coverage but offered them low cost drugs to end their life. In an era of cost control and managed care, patients with lingering illnesses may be branded as a financial liability for the insurance company, and decisions to encourage death could be driven by reducing costs. Please contact your state legislators today and tell them that you oppose A1504/S1702.
"The Alvarez Family Story"
• Follow these action steps to live each day with dignity (National Catholic Partnership on Disability)
• Contact your legislators and tell them you oppose A1504/S1702. Visit: https://njcatholic.org/faith-in-action (New Jersey Catholic Conference)
• Pray using these resources (USCCB)
• Learn how ‘To Live Each Day with Dignity: A Statement on Physician-Assisted Suicide’ (USCCB)
• Understand the 'Catholic Perspective on End of Life Care' with this PowerPoint (Office of Respect for Life, Metuchen)
• Remember 'Love Never Abandons the Suffering' by reading this article (By Drs. Angela and David Franks)
• Consider your moral duty with the use of a 'Ventilator' by reading this article (The National Catholic Bioethics Center)
• Examine Church Teaching with 'A Catholic Guide to End-of-Life Decisions' (The National Catholic Bioethics Center)
• Inform yourself and your loved ones of your 'Advanced Directive for Health Care' (New Jersey Catholic Conference)
HOW YOU CAN TALK TO OTHERS
• Use these 'Talking Points' to oppose Physician-Assisted Suicide (USCCB)
• Speak to parishioners using these 'Preaching Points' for Priests/Deacons (The National Catholic Bioethics Center)
• Learn the facts with these Fact Sheets:
• Physician-Assisted Suicide: It's Not Just About Dying Patients
• Physician-Assisted Suicide Promotes Suicide
• Physician-Assisted Suicide: It's Not About Autonomy
• Physician-Assisted Suicide: It Doesn't Improve End-of-Life Care
• Insert this flyer in your parish bulletin, or on your parish's website and/or social media pages
• Doctor-Assisted Suicide A1504/S1702