146 Metlars Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854 | T: (732) 562-1990 | F: (732) 562-1399 | email@example.com
Take Action to stop Physician-Assisted Suicide in NJ!
Update: The Senate Health Committee released A2451/S2474 from Committee on 11/3/16 by a vote of 5-3 with one abstention. Please take the action listed below immediately!
The full Assembly passed A2451, the Physician Assisted Suicide bill on 10/20/16.
Action needed: Call your state Senator and urge him/her to vote NO on A2451/S2474. Then call Gov. Christie and urge him to veto A2451/S2474 if it reaches his desk.
Phone # for Governor: 609-292-6000. You can also send a prewritten email to your Senator: http://njcatholic.org/faith-in-action
This assisted suicide bill is a direct threat to anyone viewed as a cost liability to an insurance company. In an era of cost control and managed care, patients with lingering illnesses may be branded as an economic liability, and decisions to encourage death could be driven by cost.
The facts are clear - in California, in Vermont and in Oregon - states that have passed assisted suicide bills - insurance companies have denied individuals healthcare coverage but offered them low cost drugs to end their life.
Read more about:
• Follow these action steps to live each day with dignity (National Catholic Partnership on Disability)
• Contact your State Senator (New Jersey Catholic Conference)
• Pray using these resources (USCCB)
• Learn how ‘To Live Each Day with Dignity: A Statement on Physician-Assisted Suicide’ (USCCB)
• Understand the 'Catholic Perspective on End of Life Care' with this PowerPoint (Office of Respect for Life, Metuchen)
• Remember 'Love Never Abandons the Suffering' by reading this article (By Drs. Angela and David Franks)
• Consider your moral duty with the use of a 'Ventilator' by reading this article (The National Catholic Bioethics Center)
• Examine Church Teaching with 'A Catholic Guide to End-of-Life Decisions' (The National Catholic Bioethics Center)
• Inform yourself and your loved ones of your 'Advanced Directive for Health Care' (New Jersey Catholic Conference)
HOW YOU CAN TALK TO OTHERS
• Use these 'Talking Points' to oppose Physician-Assisted Suicide (USCCB)
• Speak to parishioners using these 'Preaching Points' for Priests/Deacons (The National Catholic Bioethics Center)
• Display this Physician-Assisted Suicide Flyer:
English: Color • B&W
Spanish: Color • B&W
• Insert these Bulletin Announcements in your parish bulletin, on your parish's website or social media pages:
English • Spanish