146 Metlars Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854 | T: (732) 562-1990 | F: (732) 562-1399 | email@example.com
The Diocese of Metuchen was established on November 19, 1981 by a division of the Diocese of Trenton. At that time, there were fifty ordained deacons who lived and were ministering in the area served by the new diocese. Thirty candidates were still in training.
Soon after being assigned as the Ordinary in January 1982, Bishop Theodore E. McCarrick appointed a Director of the Diaconate and a Study Commission of priests, deacons and the wife of a deacon to research and plan a new diaconal program for the diocese.
The second formation program began in September 1985. Fifteen candidates were ordained by Bishop Edward T. Hughes, second bishop of Metuchen, on June 17, 1989.
Our third formation program began in 1990. Sixteen candidates were ordained in May 1994.
The fourth formation program was completed with ordination of sixteen candidates on May 5, 1996.
The fifth class, with twenty candidates, was ordained by Bishop Vincent De Paul Breen, third bishop of Metuchen, on June 13, 1998.
The sixth formation program ordained twenty-two candidates on June 9, 2001, also by Bishop Breen.
The seventh formation program ordained eighteen candidates on June 12, 2004 by Bishop Paul Gregory Bootkoski, fourth bishop of Metuchen.
The eighth class, with 24 candidates, was ordained on June 9, 2007 by Bishop Bootkoski.
The ninth class, with 29 candidates, was ordained on June 12, 2010 by Bishop Bootkoski.
The tenth class, with 11 candidates, was ordained on June 9, 2012 by Bishop Bootkoski.
The eleventh class, made up of 18 candidates, was ordained on June 6, 2015 by Bishop Bootkoski.
There are now 148 active deacons and 30 retired deacons in our diocese. We have 13 men in our twelfth formation program to be ordained in 2017 and 6 men in our thirteenth formation program to be ordained in 2019.
146 Metlars Lane
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Get Directions »
T: (732) 562-1990
F: (732) 562-1399